PROCEDURES RELATING TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
For the purposes of this document:
The Act refers to the Higher Education Support Act 2003
Student/s refers to all persons enrolled with Rycki Symons Pty Ltd (Academy of Design) including persons enrolled or seeking to enrol in a unit of study that meets the course requirements under sub clause 45(1) of Schedule 1A of the Act who are, or would be entitled to VET FEE-HELP assistance under clause 43 of Schedule 1A of the Act.
Academy of Design complies with the requirements of Clause 23 of Schedule 1A of the Act and the Information Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 in relation to the collection of information relating to Students.
Academy of Design will allow a Student to apply for and receive a copy of the VET personal information that the provider holds in relation to that Student.
2. Collection of Information
Personal information will not be collected unless:
- the information is collected for a purpose directly related to Students; and
- the collection of the information is necessary for or directly related to that purpose.
Personal information will not be collected by unlawful or unfair means.
Where personal information is collected for inclusion in a record or in a generally available publication Academy of Design will take reasonable steps to ensure that, before the information is collected or, if that is not practicable, as soon as practicable after the information is collected, the Student concerned is generally aware of:
- the purpose for which the information is being collected;
- if the collection of the information is authorised or required by or under law the fact that the collection of the information is so authorised or required; and
- with whom the information may be shared (such as the Australian Government or the Tuition Assurance Scheme Provider).
Where Academy of Design solicits and collects personal information for inclusion in a record or in a generally available publication it will take reasonable steps to ensure that:
- the information collected is relevant to that purpose and is up to date and complete; and
- the collection of the information does not intrude to an unreasonable extent upon the personal affairs of the Student.
3. Storage and Security of Personal Information
Academy of Design will ensure that a Student’s personal information is protected by such security safeguards as it is reasonable in the circumstances to take, against loss, against unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse.
Academy of Design will ensure that if it is necessary for a Student’s personal information to be given to a person in connection with the provision of a service to Academy of Design, everything reasonably within the power of Academy of Design will be done to prevent unauthorised use or disclosure of that personal information.
Academy of Design will maintain a record setting out:
- the nature of the records of personal information kept by Academy of Design;
- the purpose for which each type of record is kept;
- the classes of individuals about whom records are kept;
- the period for which each type of record is kept;
- the persons who are entitled to have access to personal information contained in the records and the conditions under which they are entitled to have that access; and
- the steps that should be taken by persons wishing to obtain access to that information.
Academy of Design will not use a Student’s personal information without taking reasonable steps to ensure that, having regard to the purpose for which the information is proposed to be used, the information is accurate, up to date and complete. Academy of Design will not use a Student’s personal information except for a purpose to which the information is relevant.
4. Review and Access
An individual may request access to or obtain a copy of their personal records/information or for their personal information to be amended so that it is accurate.
Individuals are able to access their own records by requesting in writing to the Director at Academy of Design, Shop 150c, Pacific Fair Shopping Centre, Broadbeach, QLD 4230 or by emailing email@example.com. There is no charge for an individual to access personal information that Academy of Design holds about them; however Academy of Design may charge a fee to make a copy.
If an individual considers their personal information to be incorrect, incomplete, out of date or misleading, they can request that the information be amended. Where a record is found to be inaccurate, a correction will be made. Where an individual requests that a record be amended because it is inaccurate but the record is found to be accurate, the details of the request for amendment will be noted on the record.
Academy of Design will not disclose a Student’s personal information to a person, body or agency (other than the individual concerned) unless:
- the individual concerned is reasonably likely to have been aware that information of that kind is usually passed to that person, body or agency;
- the individual concerned has consented to the disclosure;
- Academy of Design believes on reasonable grounds that the disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of the student or of another person;
- the disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- the disclosure is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of the public revenue.
Where personal information is disclosed for the purposes of enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the purpose of the protection of the public revenue, the record-keeper shall include in the record containing that information a note of the disclosure.
A person, body or agency to whom personal information is disclosed will not use or disclose the information for a purpose other than the purpose for which the information was given to the person.
These procedures will be published on the Academy of Design website (www.academyofdesign.com.au).